Sunday, June 11, 2023

SF Recruiting

Begin forwarded message:

From: zak kozak <kozak.zak@outlook.com>
Date: June 10, 2023 at 7:46:42 AM EDT
To: KEVIN KOZAK <kevinckozak@yahoo.com>, EDWARD PIJUAN <dzhalo@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: From the comments section of the article below.

 ahhhh. brings back memories. Wasn't called selection when I arrived at Bragg/Liberty. Four week basic at MacKall. We lost ~30 the first day when they put the entire company (~250) in the lean and rest while they went thru rucks a squad at a time stripping them of pogey bait, paper backs, gum, playing cards and whatever. Had to reach down deep to remind oneself to keep the eyes on the prize..... Slide for life into the pond in mid January was a cold wakeup.

Interesting article. I'm going to forward it to SFA 41 chapter members and some other folks I know. Thanks. 

--
e.g.h.s.

zak kozak
kozak.zak@outlook.com
On 10-Jun-23 06:35, KEVIN KOZAK wrote:

Not sure if any of you will remember this but, in the '70's Smoke Bomb Hill was owned... ruled by Special Forces and on Gruber Road not too far from the Green Beret Club was the Special Forces Recruiting building, it was a little camouflaged shack not much bigger than a storage shed that you might see in some ones backyard today. On the shack was a poster of a [Green] Beret with a 5th SFG(A) flash and all it said was "We Dare YOU to Dare"....

.

I was on my way to PT when my car broke down on Yadkin Rd and I was running to my unit, 2/325th AIR, for those who know, the intersection of Reilley & and Gruber Rd is a bit of a run down to Ardennes where the 325 was.

.

I saw that poster and I stopped to look at it, MSG Tillman saw me looking at the sign and asked me what did I think about it and I told him I'd like to know more but I was late for PT.... he gave me a ride to my unit, when I arrived [pushups ensued] he spoke to my 1SG, he came back at 5 gave me a ride to my car and helped me to get it going... because I was just an E4, I had to wait 6 months until I was promoted to E5 and eligible to reup before I could signup, but I kept in touch with MSG Tillman he invited me to Gabriel demonstrations and other events and I got to meet a lot of the people I would serve with later... the day after I reenlisted I was back at the camouflaged shack doing my paperwork. MSG Tillman wasn't a recruiter, he was the 7th SFG(A) S-3 NCOIC...